Shilo Sanders breaks silence on NFL cut

Brian Schaible

Shilo Sanders breaks silence on NFL cut image

Shilo Sanders addressed his fans on YouTube Thursday evening after being waived earlier in the week by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He delivered a heartfelt message that leaned heavily on faith and perspective.

“As you can see by the title of this video, I got waved by the Buccaneers,” Sanders told fans. “First and foremost, I just want to say I believe in God and I know God always got a plan for me. Regardless of anything that’s ever happened to me, I’ve always came out on top.”

The 25-year-old safety expressed nothing but gratitude for his time in Tampa, crediting the city, his teammates and the coaching staff for their constant support. “I had the best time up here in Tampa,” Sanders said. “Everybody’s always poured in love and support towards me and I’ll forever be grateful for that.”

After going undrafted in April, Sanders acknowledged the uphill battle but embraced the chance to learn from NFL veterans. “To spend this time with the Buccaneers, to be able to learn from all the great coaches we have up there and just being in a great building with some great players, it was a great experience for me.”

Earlier in the day, his father, Colorado head coach Deion “Coach Prime” Sanders, seemed to offer a message aimed directly at his son. “All u need is opportunity so please be ready, be prepared & be on time because it’s gonna happen for u,” he wrote on X. “You will have an opportunity to show what u got, show who u are & do what you’ve been blessed to do. You got this so do yo thang!”

Shilo emphasized to his fans that he is more than just an athlete. “I’ve always [felt that way] my whole life playing football with music, acting, modeling. I’m well versed and my parents made sure of that,” Sanders said, pointing out that he feels prepared for life beyond the game whenever that time comes.

For now, Shilo says he is staying ready for the next call. “I appreciate all the love and support…I’m straight, everything’s great.”

More NCAA Football News:

 

Brian Schaible

Brian Schaible is a freelance writer with The Sporting News. He is an award-winning journalist with over 25 years of experience covering college and professional sports. Brian holds a master’s degree in journalism/public relations from Kent State University.