Newcastle United have completed the signing of Germany striker Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart in a club-record deal.
The Magpies are reported to be paying a fee of £69million for Woltemade, who moves to St James' Park on a long-term deal.
That fee surpasses that paid for Alexander Isak, Newcastle's talisman who is still refusing to train or play as he seeks to force through a move to Liverpool.
Newcastle paid £63million to sign Isak from Real Sociedad in January 2022, and he has since scored 62 goals in 109 appearances for the club.
With Isak's future still up in the air, the pressure on Woltemade to deliver is substantial as Newcastle compete on four fronts including the Champions League.
Newcastle finally get a striker
In terms of signing a striker, Newcastle had endured a frustrating transfer window, seeing targets such as Liam Delap, Joao Pedro, Hugo Ekitike and Benjamin Sesko go elsewhere.
📲Follow The Sporting News on WhatsApp
But Woltemade expressed delight at joining the club, having previously been the subject of significant interest from Bayern Munich
Woltemade, who scored 17 goals in 33 appearances for Stuttgart last season, told Newcastle's official website: "I'm really happy to be at this amazing club. From the first contact, I felt like the club really wanted me and had big plans for me.
"It's a big step in my life to leave Germany but everybody has welcomed me so well and it already feels like family. I have a really good feeling from speaking to the head coach that this is the right place for me to find my best level.
Willkommen, Woltemade 🖤🤍 pic.twitter.com/FsEpSMDGP8
— Newcastle United (@NUFC) August 30, 2025
"I know the stadium from watching games on television - it looks amazing and I know the atmosphere is crazy. I'm really excited to play and start scoring goals here."
Howe hails Woltemade's character
Isak's decision to effectively go on strike has seen many criticise his character.
Manager Eddie Howe has never done so, but he is sure that, in Woltemade, Newcastle are adding a player who will fit in with the team perfectly.
"We're delighted to get Nick's signing over the line so quickly," Howe said. "He fits the profile for exactly what we have been looking to add to our attacking options.
"He's strong in a lot of areas - he has great technical ability and has proven himself to be a real threat in one of Europe's top leagues - but he's also still at an age where he has plenty of room to develop and grow here.
"Nick is a great character too and we're really pleased to welcome him to the group."
Newcastle United news and related links
- Newcastle United UEFA Champions League fixtures: Full schedule of games and opponents in 2025/26 competition
- Sweden boss confirms major concern over Alexander Isak return amid transfer chaos
- Liverpool and Newcastle both target Serie A star as Alexander Isak 'replacement'