Brighton boss Fabian Hurzeler confirms key midfielder to stay at the club this season

Chirag Sharatkumar

Brighton boss Fabian Hurzeler confirms key midfielder to stay at the club this season image

Brighton manager Fabian Hurzeler has moved to end speculation surrounding midfielder Carlos Baleba’s future.

Hurzeler insisted that he is “more than 100 per cent confident” that Baleba will remain at the Amex Stadium beyond Monday’s (September 1) transfer deadline.

Baleba, 21, has developed into one of the Premier League’s brightest young midfielders since arriving from Lille in 2023, attracting serious interest from several top Premier League clubs.

Manchester United made an approach earlier this month and later tested the Seagulls’ resolve with a high-value player-plus-cash proposal, but the bid was swiftly rejected.

📲 Follow The Sporting News on WhatsApp

Reports suggest Brighton are unwilling to part with their prized player for anything less than £100 million, a stance that has deterred the Red Devils’ pursuit.

United are now believed to be looking elsewhere, with Sporting Lisbon’s Morten Hjulmand and Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton emerging as potential alternatives.

What did Hurzeler say?

When asked directly if Baleba would still be a Brighton player after the window closes, Hurzeler was unequivocal in his response.

“If there is a number more than 100 [%], I would say more than 100, so fantastically confident," the Brighton boss said.

Baleba has started both of Brighton’s league fixtures so far – against Fulham and Everton – and is expected to feature again when the Seagulls face Manchester City this weekend.

The Cameroon international remains under contract at Brighton until 2027, and will almost certainly attract a similar level of interest next summer.

While rumours continue to swirl around outgoings, Hurzeler added that he does not anticipate further arrivals before the window shuts.

“I have a feeling,” he said, when asked if Brighton’s business was complete.

“Sometimes it's not so clever to share the feelings you have with the public, but overall I'm very happy with the squad.”

Brighton advanced in the EFL Cup with a comfortable 6-0 win over Oxford United in midweek and now prepare for their toughest test yet, welcoming Pep Guardiola’s City side to the Amex on Sunday (August 31).

Premier League news and related links

Chirag Sharatkumar

Chirag Sharatkumar is a freelance writer for The Sporting News, with a focus on the Premier League, international football, and global fan culture. He also has extensive experience with the Stats Perform news agency and is a keen long-form sport and culture writer and storyteller. His work can be found on the pages of MUNDIAL Magazine and across various Substack platforms.