Fox fires Mark Sanchez: What to know about network’s decision to let NFL broadcaster go after arrest

Dan Treacy

Fox fires Mark Sanchez: What to know about network’s decision to let NFL broadcaster go after arrest image

The news that former Jets QB-turned--Fox Sports analyst Mark Sanchez was stabbed in Indianapolis in October sent shockwaves throughout the NFL. What came next was completely bizarre and ended with Sanchez losing his television job.

In the eyes of the law, Sanchez is not being considered the victim. The 38-year-old was allegedly the aggressor in an incident that sent a 69-year-old man to the hospital, with the older man claiming he stabbed Sanchez in self-defense. Marion County's prosecutor agrees, as Sanchez was the only one charged in the incident.

Sanchez was booked and released not long after the NFL game he was in Indianapolis to call wrapped up. The legal troubles Sanchez is facing had some wondering whether he would call another game for Fox Sports.

On Friday, Nov. 7, the first domino of the Sanchez incident fell. Fox Sports formally fired Sanchez, according to The Athletic's Andrew Marchand. The network announced it hired Drew Brees to fill Sanchez's role on a full-time basis.

Here's what you need to know about Sanchez's future as a broadcaster.

MORE: Latest updates after Mark Sanchez stabbed, arrested

Will Fox fire Mark Sanchez?

Fox fired Sanchez on Nov. 7, spelling an end to a four-year stint with the network. He was taken off the broadcast on Oct. 5 while recovering from the stabbing that initially left him in critical condition.

Fox’s comments on Mark Sanchez since his hospitalization and arrest have been brief. The network initially confirmed Saturday that Sanchez was stable and recovering after being stabbed. On Sunday, the incident was addressed on Fox’s NFL pregame show, when host Curt Menefee said Sanchez “was involved in an incident that, to be honest, we’re all trying to wrap our heads around.”

Veteran Fox sportscaster Chris Myers added at the start of the Oct. 5 broadcast in Indianapolis, “We send out our thoughts and prayers to Mark and those involved in Friday’s incident.”

Sanchez was not assigned to any Week 6 games while recovering and was also absent from Fox’s Week 7 schedule. Although he has since been released from the hospital, he told reporters he is “recovering slowly” from the stabbing.

Sanchez's attorney said during an Oct. 22 hearing that his client was "still recovering from the injuries he sustained" and could not attend the proceedings.

MORE: What to know about the charges Mark Sanchez is facing from stabbing incident

Mark Sanchez Fox contract

The details of Sanchez's contract at Fox Sports are unknown, but he joined the network in 2021 after spending the first two years of his post-playing career as a college football analyst for ESPN.

Sanchez initially worked with play-by-play broadcaster Kevin Kugler before shuffling over to work with Amin in 2024. Fox hired Brees in November to take over full-time as Amin's broadcast partner, which indicates Sanchez isn't in the network's immediate plans.

Who will replace Mark Sanchez at Fox?

Fox replaced one former NFL QB with another, enlisting Brees to handle coverage on a full-time basis. He'll team up with Adam Amin, Sanchez's former broadcast partner, starting on Nov. 16.

“I appreciate the opportunity FOX has given me in the booth and with their team,” Brees said in a Fox Sports press release. “I hope my passion for this game is reflected in the knowledge and insights I provide to the fans each Sunday.”

Brees had previously served as a color commentator for NBC, offering musings during Notre Dame games and "Football Night in America." He left the network in 2022.

“Drew is one of the best to ever play the game, and we couldn’t be more excited to have his prolific credentials and unique insights as part of our coverage on Sundays,” said Brad Zager, Fox Sports' President of Production & Operations/Executive Producer. “We’re thrilled to welcome him to the FOX Sports family.”

MORE: NFL quarter-season awards

Mark Sanchez net worth

Sanchez has an estimated net worth of $40 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth. He spent parts of 10 years in the NFL, making a total of $74.2 million in career earnings. 

Sanchez jumped into broadcasting as soon as he officially retired in 2019, and he has been an NFL analyst at Fox Sports since 2021. Sanchez is also married to actress Perry Mattfield, who played a recurring role in the popular Showtime series "Shameless."

MORE: Updated NFL power rankings entering Week 6

Mark Sanchez arrest details

Sanchez was arrested Saturday while still hospitalized, less than 24 hours after he was stabbed multiple times in the area of the chest and torso.

Citing surveillance footage, prosecutors allege Sanchez confronted and assaulted a 69-year-old driver who had parked in an alley to take used cooking oil from a restaurant. At some point during the interaction, Sanchez is alleged to have gotten into the man's vehicle.

The man told police he pepper-sprayed Sanchez after the former quarterback became aggressive and resorted to stabbing Sanchez when that didn't work. The older man was hospitalized with what appeared to be multiple injuries, including a severe laceration on his face, as shown in pictures released by his family.

Mark Sanchez charges

Sanchez is facing three charges in Marion County: felony battery involving serious bodily injury, unlawful entry of a motor vehicle and public intoxication. Sanchez was initially charged with misdemeanor battery with injury, but that charge was upgraded to a felony on Monday. The remaining two charges are both misdemeanors.

Sanchez was released on $300 bond immediately after being booked on Sunday night.

The sentence for felony battery involving serious bodily injury could be 1-6 years in prison, according to Marion County prosecutor Ryan Mears.

In addition to criminal charges, Sanchez is facing a lawsuit from the victim, 69-year-old Perry Tole, for assault and battery. Tole is also suing Fox Sports for negligent hiring, retention and supervision, claiming Fox should have known Sanchez had a "propensity for drinking and/or harmful conduct."

According to Los Angeles Magazine's Lauren Conlin, the prosecution filed its fist discovery motions on Oct. 29. Materials produced to Sanchez's lawyers include body-camera footage from at least 20 Indianapolis Metro Police Department officers, dash-cam footage from multiple cars and photographs of the crime scene. 

Senior Content Producer

News Correspondent