ELLAND ROAD, LEEDS — After half an hour, with those who'd bothered to turn up feeding off scraps, the spectre at the feast was mentioned.
Newcastle United's travelling supporters sang about their wantaway striker, Alexander Isak. The precise words aren't exactly the thing for a family publication, but I'm sure you can imagine. It's all over social media if your curiosity must be sated.
With a second, improved bid from Liverpool widely presumed to be imminent, there is a weariness on the Newcastle side of the Isak saga. One member of the club's media department lamented, "what a month…" to a colleague as they entered Elland Road a couple of hours ahead of Saturday's 0-0 draw with a spirited Leeds United. Others in the press room, having covered every cough and spit since Isak cast himself as football's most high-profile malcontent, sounded more than ready to hear the last of August's never-ending story.
When greeted by accounts of Swedish reportage claiming Isak bade farewell to staff at Newcastle's training ground on Friday, the temperature cooled in Eddie Howe's post-match briefing.
"On Alex's situation, I've got no communication, no update for you," he said. "We are still looking to actively recruit, but I don't know if that has any relation at all to Alex's situation.
"I've got no knowledge of that [saying goodbye at the training ground]. I can't tell you it didn't happen, but I can't tell you it did. I'm pretty sure I would have [heard about it if it happened]."
As has been the case in each of Newcastle's Premier League games so far this term, Isak loomed large over proceedings. New record signing Nick Woltemade was in the stands after completing his £69 million move from Stuttgart, but not in time to play. A watching brief is something Woltemade had in common with reported Newcastle targets Yoane Wissa and Jorgen Strand Larsen, who each sat out as Brentford and Wolves lost their respective Premier League fixtures on Saturday.
Willkommen, Woltemade 🖤🤍 pic.twitter.com/FsEpSMDGP8
— Newcastle United (@NUFC) August 30, 2025
"It was absolutely massive for us to sign a striker, I felt we had to," said Howe, who would ideally like to add one more player to his squad before the window closes. "I'm really pleased to get one with the qualities that he possesses. He's not just a big presence – he will be that in the box for us – he's got unbelievable technical ability, he's got creativity as well. Everything that we were probably lacking today he can bring.
"There will be a period where he has to adapt to the Premier League. It's always very difficult for someone to come straight into the league. I've got really high hopes for him, I don't want to add to the pressure that he's going to be under, but I think he's going to be a difference maker.
With the replacement for the man who hasn't left yet waiting in the wings, the temporary deputy got on with his job. "We certainly can't go through the season with no recognised striker at the football club," Howe said when asked about Isak last week. "And that's no disrespect to Will Osula."
Buoyed by his manager's show of respect, Osula came off the bench to score the equaliser for the 10-man Toon before they suffered last-gasp heartache against Liverpool on Monday, in that early contender for game of the season.
The atmosphere at a baying Elland Road was not as feral as at St James' Park for the Isak grudge match, but it did put the boot somewhere close to the other foot for Howe's men. Daniel Farke's physical, hard-running side were roared on and every decision in Newcastle's favour was howled at, as if a grave injustice. It was football and an atmosphere that suited a grey, squalling late summer evening in West Yorkshire.

"It was always going to be difficult mentally and physically for the players to come into this game," Howe said, noting the inevitable comedown from the sound and fury on Tyneside five days ago. "Defensively, we were very good again but, with the ball, our creativity was off today, there's no denying that."
Osula stuck to his task manfully against the robust centre-back duo of Pascal Struijk and Joe Rodon, but looked exhausted after an hour that featured some cute link-up play and a smattering of low crosses that flashed past him to where a more seasoned operator might have enjoyed a tap-in.
MORE: Which club has spent most money in the transfer window?
It was a surprise to see the young Dane remain when Howe sent on Harvey Barnes and switched formation to match Leeds' 4-3-3 in the 69th minute. When the substitute looked to play in Osula a few minutes later, Rodon rag-dolled him to the floor. He ended the contest with a booking that spoke of tetchy frustration.
Leeds even looked the most likely side to steal the points in the final minutes. Substitute Dominic Calvert-Lewin, an authentic No. 9 from a different end of the transfer market food chain to Isak, drew a smart stop from Nick Pope.
Newcastle remain a well-drilled, adaptable team and their midfield pairing of Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimaraes are a match for most. But two goalless, Isak-less draws on the road to start the season tell an obvious and predictable story. Two points from the first three games will cause no panic given the wider context, but it is not the form befitting of Champions League qualifiers. Howe is hopefully the whole fiasco can have a lasting galvanising impact based on what he's seen from the players in his squad who still want to play for Newcastle.
"Through all three performances, the big thing shining through is that the players are giving it everything," he added. "Though all the media speculation we've been under and the intensity of that, the players have stood up and given it their all.
"It would have been easy for them to feel differently. They've taken ownership of their performances. We can play better, we can do better and we're going to have to. Hopefully, a centre-forward can help that."