The Detroit Tigers' $15 million dollar offseason signing of veteran pitcher Alex Cobb hasn’t gone according to plan.
The 37-year-old has been rehabbing injuries to both hips ever since he suffered a hip injury before reporting to spring training. He hasn’t pitched for the Tigers this season.
Earlier this week, Cobb’s stretch of bad luck continued as he was removed from his rehab assignment after only six games due to soreness in both hips. Detroit manager A.J. Hinch spoke about the situation on Tuesday.
Hinch breaks silence on $15 million pitcher
“We’re wait-and-see mode,” Hinch said, per Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press.
“When you pull him off rehab, he’s got to be down a week. Hopefully, that’s the minimal time and the max time in the same way. And then he’ll go out and start all over again.”
Because the Tigers pulled Cobb from his rehab assignment, their 30-day deadline to reinstate him resets. But it seems unlikely he will pitch for Detroit this year with less than one month left of the regular season.
However, Cobb looked sharp before the Tigers shut him down. He recorded a 2.03 ERA with 17 strikeouts to just seven walks over his six-game rehab assignment, and Detroit is still leaving the door open for a possible return.
“He’s able to tolerate the pitches, and we’ve seen flashes of some pretty good action on those pitches,” Hinch said. It’s the bouncing back that’s been the biggest issue. He’s going to continue to grind through it, and we’re going to continue to provide the opportunity we can in hopes that he can contribute something.”
Cobb was originally drafted in the fourth round of the 2006 Amateur Draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, with whom he spent the first six seasons of his career. He’s also played for the Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Angels, San Francisco Giants and Cleveland Guardians.